Our school was opened on the 7th March 1954, by the Sisters of St Joseph of the Apparition and was known as ‘Our Lady of Assumption Catholic Primary School’. This was a time of amazing drive, determination and commitment by the whole community as parents and parishioners worked closely together to design, raise money and build a wonderful school. What the community may have lacked in resources at this time, they certainly made up for in spirit, goodwill and generosity.
When the Carmelite Fathers arrived in Hilton in 1956, the school’s name was changed to ‘Our Lady of Mount Carmel Primary School.” OLMC was staffed by the Sisters of Nazareth from 1963 until 1992, when the first lay Principal, Mrs Margaret Sweetman was appointed.
After the withdrawal of the Sisters of Nazareth from the school and from Foley Village, (the aged care facility next door) OLMC was entirely staffed by lay teachers. The Carmelite Fathers however, continued to live next door at the Priory and a close and fruitful relationship between the Parish and school was carefully nurtured — a relationship that has continued through the years to the present day.
From 1994 to 2000, the school embarked on a building programme to enlarge and modernise the facilities and grounds. This resulted in a new library, a modern Administration block and the creation of a Kindergarten classroom. The undercover area was also renovated, and the playgrounds upgraded. Additional work included the addition of pergola areas behind classrooms, the completion of a new sports shed, upgrading of the lower oval and the development of an all-purpose playing court area.