Curriculum encompasses everything our students experience from the time they enter the school grounds in the morning until they exit the school at the end of the school day. Our Lady of Mount Carmel School follows the Western Australia Curriculum for Kindergarten to Year Six.
In accordance with the School Curriculum and Standards Authority Act, 1997, the Western Australian Curriculum and Assessment Outline (Outline) sets out ‘the knowledge, understanding, skills, values and attitudes that students are expected to acquire and guidelines for the assessment of student achievement’.
We believe that students learn best:
- When there is a strong, positive and respectful relationship between teacher, student and parents.
- When we provide a stimulating curriculum relating to real world experiences, promoting agency, independence and resilience.
- When they are provided with high expectations and can articulate their learning intentions, success criteria and goals.
- When the indoor and outdoor school environment connects them to the world around them, their peers, community and educators.
- When the learning starts where the child is at, is collaborative, purposeful and scaffolded.
- When teachers provide explicit feedback designed to support their further learning and understanding.
- When they are engaged and supported to take learning risks and have a go.
For more information on the K-10 Outline: